Names for things


What better place to start this page than with a strong foundation? Doesn't get much stronger than bricks, huh?


Imagine you have a brick in your hand. Depending on how it's oriented, the sides all have different names.
Brick of Chicago has the names nicely labelled with pictures. Labelling without pictures it pretty hard; who would have thought.

Brick-related terminology


Hot-dip Galvanisation

When you see a metal wall that looks like this:

This is a sign of "hot-dip galvanisation". The markings are the spangle of zinc--the visible feature of zinc crystals as they harden. The metal (iron or steel) that is "hot-dipped" is dipped into a pool of zinc before being cooled quickly to create a cover to protect from rust.